Using Herbs In Your Coop


Let's get this straight...I cannot grow plants.  Not well at least.  Send me a sick animal, I can usually help it.  Plants are a completely different subject with me.  I didn't get the green thumb like my cousin Gabbie or Aunt Tessa. However, I have been dabbling in herbs for the last couple of years. Primarily because I absolutely love the smell of lavender.  And also just to see if I could actually grow something. I did well with mint and lavender and decided to try growing herbs that would be beneficial to my chickens. Here are the herbs I plant and use and also a few herbs and other food items I buy because I haven't tried my hand at growing them or making them yet.  I will also in my list of things I do not feed my chickens.  And that of course is personal preference due to things I have read over the years. 




***DISCLAIMER: Remember I am not a vet or poultry scientist.  These are just the things that I have learned along my chicken journey.  This is all just for informational purposes.***




MINT:

I started with mint a few years ago.  I will say, you have to try pretty hard to kill mint.  And beware, that stuff will spread EVERYWHERE.  I have two types of mint growing in the 6'x2' flowerbed in front of our house- spearmint and peppermint.  I usually get 5-6 good heavy harvests each year out of my mint bed.  That stuff grows so well, no matter what weather.  Mint is fantastic for insect and pest repellent.  I usually cut and bundle mint in large bundles and hang from the ceiling of the coops.  I replace them every month or so.  It helps with flies and mice.  It also helps with the smell in the heat of summer.  I have read that some people add mint to their chickens' water.  I have not tried that but will try it this summer as it helps regulate their body temperature and improve their digestive health. 

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/mint">Mint Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>

PARSLEY:

I only had one good year with parsley.  I am horrible at growing it.  However, I do buy dried parsley in bulk for my chickens.  Whenever we have an overabundance of duck eggs or during molt when I regularly cook up a dozen duck eggs for the chickens, I always add a huge dose of parsley.  Parsley is said to be a fantastic vitamin boost and also aid in blood vessel development for chickens.  I have read in a couple places that it is a laying stimulant, however I don't know how much stock I put into that. 


<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/parsley">Parsley Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>

LAVENDER: 

My favorite herb of all time.  IF the chickens are lucky enough for me to share my lavender harvest with them, I use it by put it dried in their nesting boxes.  Lavender is a natural stress reliever for all species, and especially for laying hens. Of course the smell is heavenly and helps with odor control and some say can help with pest control. 

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/lavender">Lavender Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>


ROSEMARY: 

Unfortunately I killed my rosemary over the winter so I need to pick another couple plants up but I have read that rosemary can aid in pain relief and also help strengthen their respiratory system.  Of course the smell is also a natural deodorizer.  So either way, I dry it...then either crush to put in food or hang around coop with the mint. 

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/rosemary">Rosemary Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>


OREGANO:

This is one herb that I surprisingly can grow very well.  And it is an absolute must for chickens.  Oregano has antibiotic, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties.  It strengthens the immune system and helps in guarding against many diseases. I dry and crush to add to the chickens feed and treats. 

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/oregano">Oregano Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>

SAGE:

Well for one thing sage smells fantastic to me.  I love the smell.  Sage is said to help prevent salmonella and other chicken diseases.  It is an antioxidant and thought to help reduce internal parasites.  I dehydrate, crush, and add sage to the girls' feed and treats.

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/sage">Sage Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>


THYME:

One huge plus about thyme, bugs hate the smell.  Thyme has some great chicken raising benefits...it is fantastic for their respiratory health.  It also has antiseptic, antioxidant, and antibacterial qualities. I dry my thyme and add to the girls' scrambled duck eggs. 


<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/thyme">Thyme Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>


LEMON BALM:

Lemon balm is along the same lines as mint, be prepared for that stuff to spread and grow everywhere.  This herb is a natural pest repellent.  You can cut and dry and hang in bundles like the mint, or plant around your coop to deter mice and rats, but plant in a container or it will go everywhere!

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/lemon-balm">Lemon Balm Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>




OTHER FAVORITE FOOD ITEMS ON THE HEISHMAN FARM:


PUMPKINS:

I cannot say enough good things about pumpkin for chickens.  They are so full of vitamins and nutrients. The flesh is a great source of Vitamins A, B, and C as well as Zinc and Potassium.  Pumpkin seeds are a great source of Vitamin E.  There is a lot of controversy going around- some say that pumpkin seeds are a natural dewormer for chickens.  Some would argue.  I am neutral on the topic.  The only thing I will say is that I feed my chickens a lot of pumpkins.  A lot of people bring us pumpkins after Halloween which I cut up and freeze to feed throughout the year.  I have (knock on wood) yet to deal with worms. So take that for what you will. 

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/pumpkin">Pumpkin Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>


RED PEPPER FLAKES:

If you see me out buying red pepper flakes in bulk, no I don't like my food spicy, we just use a lot for my flock. And no, the chickens cannot taste the spice. While some say that red pepper flakes boost egg production, I am not of that belief.  I do however believe that the capsaicin can help fight bacteria and that the carotenoids can help make for a very pretty egg yolk. They are also high in vitamin C. 

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/asian">Asian Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>


SCRAMBLED EGGS:

My Pop (my original chicken mentor) thinks I am absolutely crazy for feeding my chickens eggs.  It started as just feeding a scrambled egg to sick chickens when I first started (Chick Norris was my first scrambled egg eater)- an egg bound hen would get an egg scrambled and covered in bacon grease to lube things up a bit or covered in crushed up tums for that extra dose of calcium.  Then when the Duck Nuggets started laying very regularly (the market for duck eggs in our rural area is not very large), instead of wasting eggs when they sat on the counter too long- we started scrambling them for the chickens.  In the Fall molting time and Winter cold, they get scrambled eggs regularly to boost their vitamin and protein intake.  Of course with all the healthy herbs in them.  Sometimes with the shells in with them, sometimes with a fun little addition like kale, veggies, oats, raisins, etc.  Eggs are just as nutritious to chickens as they are to us. 


<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/scrambled-eggs">Scrambled Eggs Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>



ZUCCHINI:

Zucchini is the first treat I start with my baby chicks.  Cut up in the tiniest little pieces.  I really need to start growing my own because all of my animals love zucchini on our farm.  The only two who don't are Lloyd and Gideon.  It is a great source of nutrients for all of the feathered babies. 



<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/zucchini">Zucchini Stock photos by


PEAS:

The favorite food on our farm for the waterfowl.  I need a freezer just for bags of peas.  It started with the Duck Nuggets as babies. I used peas to supplement their niacin needs and also as treats to teach them. Now peas are a basic daily food item on our farm.  The chickens do not get them every day but the ducks get them whenever we need them to do something, as a treat, and also part of their nightly bowl of food. There isn't much the ducks won't do for peas and even know what the bag looks and sounds like. The older goslings have also learned that peas are pretty darn awesome also. I have planted some this year and they seem to be doing ok.  We shall see how it goes. 


<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/peas">Peas Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>



FOOD ITEMS I REFUSE TO FEED MY CHICKENS-

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-png/no-sign">No Sign PNGs by Vecteezy</a>


 (Remember this is personal preference, unless it is deemed unsafe, chicken owners are free to feed their chickens whatever they like.)

  • Onions, Chives, Garlic, etc
  • Strawberry Tops, Apple Cores, Peach Pits, Avocado Pits, Pear Cores, etc
  • Chocolate/Candy
  • Raw Potatoes or Potato Skins (I will sometimes feed leftover mashed potatoes but not often)
  • Citrus
  • Tomatoes 
  • A lot of bread...we give very little bread or bread/yeasty items to the chickens.
  • Moldy Food- if I wouldn't eat it, I am not giving it to them.
  • A lot of dairy- I have been known to throw some cottage cheese or plain yogurt the girls' way but we do not feed cheese to them.


Please remember to take all of this with a grain of salt, no pun intended.  This is just for informational purposes.  These are things we use around our farm.  Doesn't make it completely right.  It is just what works for us.  



Happy growing!


XOXO,


JJ


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It All Started With A One Legged Chicken...

Mental Health Awareness Month

The Chicken With The Velociraptor Claw