May Reads....Getting Back Into The Reading Groove

 


As some of you may have read in my previous blog, it's been a pretty rough last couple of months.  I haven't really felt like reading.  I didn't even get started back into reading until about the middle of May.  And thankfully, I think I have finally hit my reading stride again.  I am 52% through my 2024 reading challenge of 75 books.  So, very slightly ahead of schedule.  I have started June strong though.   

My niece and I made a trip to Half Price Books in Independence on Memorial Day weekend and then Lloyd and I made a trip to the Westport Half Price books the next weekend.  Thanks to my good friend Lavena for telling me about them.  My wallet doesn't thank you but my bookshelf and TBR definitely does.  And if there is anything that is good for my mental health, it is reading and of course shopping for books!


RAISING GEESE: A Beginner's Guide To Raising Happy and Healthy Geese 

4/5

Like I said in my previous blog post, we have added goslings to our little farm.  So of course I have read a couple books on raising geese that I have found on Kindle Unlimited.  Geese are very different from chickens but not so different from ducks.  The first two were definitely a learning experience and we were able to use this book to help us with the next three.  


THE TRUTH HURTS  by Rebecca Reid

4/5

I will tell you one thing- if you go to Dollar Tree- do not discount the book section (no pun intended.)  I have found some great books at Dollar Tree.  And they usually have some great westerns, which Lloyd loves.  This book was a solid read.  I wouldn't say it was an edge-of-my-seat thriller but it was a good, what is going to happen read.  Definitely worth the $1.25.  And to me the cover is stunning. 


THE LIES I TELL by Julie Clark

4/5

Another great Dollar Tree find!  This book was written by the author of The Flight Attendant which I RACED through a couple years ago.  This one turned out way different than I thought but I absolutely loved it.  The end had my saying- YES girl.  


FIREFLY LANE by Kristin Hannah

5/5

I have read a few Kristin Hannah books that I loved and also a few that I wasn't huge fans of.  I watched Firefly Lane because I too, have a lifelong best friend.  I wish we could have watched it together but unfortunately she lives a very busy momma life an hour and a half away.  She also tends to NEVER be able to last more than 10 minutes into a movie or tv show, so that never would have worked.  (Love you more Kel!)  I finally decided to get the book when I saw it on the Amazon book sale last month.  Why I waited so long to read it, I have no idea.  It was fantastic.  It was completely different than the tv show but in a great way.  I cried so many times.  I cried happy tears though.  If you have a best friend, buy this book.  Devour it.  And make sure you are so very grateful to have such an amazing thing as the love of a life long best friend. I know I am. 


THE LOST HUSBAND by Katherine Center

5/5

Everyone has a couple of movies they absolutely love.  The movie they put on just for comfort as they read or fall asleep.  My two main movies are Me Before You and The Lost Husband.  I don't know how I didn't realize The Lost Husband was based off a book. I was a little more than slightly upset to see Netflix is removing The Lost Husband.  I was very happy however to order the book and read it.  It was fantastic.  Come on...goat farm, midlife comeback, happy life lesson?  Nothing I don't love there.  And yes, it is different than the movie but very, very good.  And it will stay on my bookshelf so I can read it again. 


DOLLY PARTON, STORYTELLER: MY LIFE IN LYRICS

5/5

When I was a little girl, my momma raised us on Dolly Parton. She also raised us on Meat Loaf but Dolly was the one I remember best during the hard times.  After my dad left us, momma would load us up into her car, put Dolly in the cassette player, and drive us girls around Swan Lake Wildlife Refuge.  She would sing us Eagle When She Flies, Yellow Roses, White Limozeen, and my favorite- Why'd You Come In Here Lookin' Like That.  Dolly has been a comfort to me for many, many years. On Memorial Day weekend I took my niece to an antique store and found this beautiful hardbound book, brand new in shrink wrap.  I had to have it. It was fantastic.  Stories behind so many of her songs, with beautiful pictures of her over the years. If you are a Dolly fan, this is a must for your bookshelf. 


WOMAN ON THE EDGE by Samantha Bailey

3/5

This was my least favorite read and biggest disappointment of the month.  The premise seemed so good and intriguing but the writing fell completely flat for me.  It is classified as a thriller/suspense but I found it rather dull.  


I am starting June off strong-reading wise.  After being so down the last few months and not reading much, I am really wanting to read however I find my attention span isn't what it used to be.  So I have started and stopped a couple of books.  I didn't DNF them, I am just saving them for a later date.  I feel now there is no reason for me to waste time on something that isn't catching my attention.  We had just gotten a big order from Book Outlet before I made two trips to Half Price Books.  So my TBR pile is rather large.  I have been enjoying reading in the yard in the evening while the goslings play.  It's going to to be too hot to do that soon, so for now I will soak it up while I can. 


It's good to be back in the book and blogging world.  Here is a picture of my newest reading buddies to show that I have, in fact, been pretty busy.  



 Payson and Aspen- White Chinese Goslings born mid March 2024

Laramie, Omaha, and Memphis- Toulouse Goslings born April 28th 2024



Happy Reading and Much Love-

XOXO-

JJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It All Started With A One Legged Chicken...

Mental Health Awareness Month

The Chicken With The Velociraptor Claw